For years, the dental industry has been advocating implants as the preferable tooth restoration option in most circumstances.
But many dental insurance companies don’t cover tooth implants. The dental insurance industry seems to be stuck in 1970. For example, many insurers will cover dental bridges.
Clearly, dental insurance companies rarely make coverage decisions based on what is best for the patient.
However, you shouldn’t give up on dental implants if your dental insurance company doesn’t cover them. You may be able to get coverage for part of the procedure. Or your medical insurance may cover part of the treatment plan.
What to do if your dental insurance provider doesn’t cover dental implant procedures
- Have your implant dentist provide a detailed implant treatment plan in writing
- Armed with your treatment plan, talk to both your dental insurer and your medical insurance provider
- Ask your dental insurance provider if they will give you an allowance equal to the cost of a bridge or conventional dentures
- Ask your dental insurance provider if they will cover the cost of the crown(s)
- If your tooth loss has medical complications, your health insurance provider might cover some elements of the implant treatment
- Consider switching dental insurance providers–if your employer offers more than one dental option, contact the other provider(s) to find out if they cover implants
- Pay for tooth implants instead of premiums: consider not renewing your dental insurance and use the money saved toward the cost of implants
- Look into dental implant-specific insurance–some companies are filling a need in the industry by offering dental insurance developed specifically for tooth implants and related treatments
- Ask Cary Family Dental about financing and payment options
Permanent dental implants are a wise investment in your health and quality of life. If you need implants but your insurance doesn’t cover them, talk with us at Cary Family Dental.
Contact Cary Family Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
1149 Kildaire Farm Rd
Cary, North Carolina