Do You Suffer From Headaches?
Many Americans suffer with the condition known as temporomandibular joint disorder, commonly referred to as TMD or TMJ. Without proper treatment, TMJ can cause a wide variety of health concerns which can interrupt your daily routine. To accurately diagnose a TMD condition, it is important to see a dentist like Dr. Acton who understands and can diagnose TMJ disorders but can also provide multiple solutions to both correct the problem and alleviate your TMD symptoms.
What is TMD?
TMD is a condition that involves one or both temporomandibular joints (TMJ), which are the combination of the part of your skull known as the temporal bone, and your lower jaw bone called the mandible.If a problem arises in the area of your TMJ, including complications with the tissues, muscles or ligaments, it is considered to be TMD. Dr. Acton has provided TMJ treatment to patients throughout the Cary area, from Morrisville to Apex, NC and can address the issue you may be having by developing a TMJ treatment plan specifically for you.
Common Symptoms of TMD
TMJ treatment will address the numerous symptoms you may be experiencing:
- Headaches/Migraines | If you have been suffering with headaches including debilitating migraines, TMJ may very well be the culprit. Headache relief may be yours with effective TMJ treatment.
- Clicking Jaw | Jaw clicking or popping on either side is a predominant symptom of TMD, and can cause severe pain or discomfort when talking or eating certain foods.
- Teeth Grinding | Another common sign of a TMJ condition is teeth grinding or clenching, particularly during the night while you sleep. Many patients seeking TMJ treatment don’t ever realize that this is happening, which is why it’s important to visit a qualified specialist.
- Tinnitus | TMD can even cause problems with your hearing, such as tinnitus. The most common sign of tinnitus is hearing certain frequencies, often referred to as ringing in the ears, when there is no sound present.
- Face/Neck Pain | Experiencing discomfort in the muscles of the face or neck can eventually be the cause of further complications and increased pain, traditional headaches and migraines.
What Our Patients Are Saying!
As a first time patient, I was warmly welcomed and every person I came in contact with was very friendly. I received a thorough cleaning and was very informed of my needs and any procedure that might be performed.Cindy Covil
I have been a patient of Dr. Acton's for 19 years. You can trust him to listen to you and address your needs and/or fears. He has the most up to date procedures and invest in training all of the staff on both the latest techniques and customer service... I feel safe and well cared for at each of my appointments.Darlene Germano
Dr. Acton is great at what he does and I highly recommend using Cary Family Dental as your new Dentist! PS - their new building is awesome and they have TVs on the ceiling so you can watch when you are getting cleaned!Nathan Campbell
I have been with cary family dental for a few years now and always leave happy! I actually am looking forward to going to this dentist. All staff is always friendly and seem to really care about my well being.Ida Kaeser