‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more aspects of life in Apex, Morrisville, and Holly Springs – particularly dental health.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Here we highlight some of the most important guidelines.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush. They can be purchased at any Cary area drugstore.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy, too.
3. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you are engaged in an activity where your mouth could possibly be injured. This includes many Raleigh recreation league and school sponsored sports.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection, and nerve damage. It’s a dangerous Cary fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
My name is Dr. Allan Acton. Helping my dental patients establish good habits is important to me, and so is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as veneers, teeth whitening, and complete smile makeovers.
Cary Family Dental in Cary, North Carolina, has been serving the Apex, Morrisville, and Holly Springs area since 2003. If you are in the market for an exceptional dentist, we invite you to contact us at 919-371-4428 so we can make an appointment for you.
Dr. Allan Acton
Cary Family Dental
1149 Kildaire Farm Road
Cary, North Carolina
The following website was used as source material for this blog:
http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/preteens-and-teens/, accessed on Feb. 21, 2013