Our team at Cary Dental will take care of your wisdom tooth extraction with compassion and skill. Having your wisdom teeth extracted might seem stressful and time-consuming. Fortunately, your visit will be efficient, and we can help make you comfortable.
Why Should I Have My Wisdom Teeth Removed?
- Pushing or shifting teeth, sometimes undoing orthodontic work.
- Food and bacteria can get caught when a tooth doesn’t come all the way in, which causes decay.
- Impacted teeth that block normal growth and function.
- Cysts and other serious complications.
Though some people are born without wisdom teeth, and others may have extra teeth that fit perfectly in the mouth, most patients will need their wisdom teeth pulled to avoid problems.
How do I know if they need to be removed?
What symptoms might they cause?
Wisdom teeth can sometime cause these symptoms before they are removed:
- Tooth decay
- Swollen, red, tender or bleeding gums
- Swelling around the jaw
- Gum infection
- Damage to other teeth
- Bad breath
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth near the affected area
- Food to be trapped behind the tooth
- Headache or jaw ache
- Occasional difficulty opening the mouth
- Occasional swollen lymph nodes in the neck
How are wisdom teeth removed?
Sedation options are available and will be varied based on the complexity of the extraction. A small incision is made in the gums, the tooth is gently removed and the socket is stitched close for healing. For larger wisdom teeth, the dentist may cut the tooth into smaller pieces before removal. Your provider will send you home with post operative instruction on diet and home care. Patients are usually able to resume life as normal within a couple of days.
The Wisdom Tooth Extraction Process
Before we perform any wisdom teeth extractions, we want to make sure we know your specific situation. Our office provides advanced dental technology that allows us to see exactly where your wisdom teeth are located and how close they are to your nerves. We want you to have the safest extraction possible, and our state-of-the-art techniques can help us do just that.
Our staff will ensure your comfort as they go, explaining the procedure and how to take care of yourself once you’re home. After the wisdom teeth are extracted, we will place gauze to help minimize bleeding and provide you with any necessary medications.
For a quick healing process, remember the following:
- Avoid straws for at least 24 hours.
- Don’t smoke for 48 hours.
- You can gently rinse with warm water to clean your mouth.
- Don’t brush the teeth at the back of your mouth for another day or two.
You will also want to take it easy for the rest of the day. Participating in rigorous activities too soon can prevent quick healing and cause dry socket. Dry socket occurs when the healing is disturbed and the bone is exposed to the air.
Why Wait? Schedule a Wisdom Teeth Removal in Cary
Getting your wisdom teeth out takes only a day of recovery. If you leave them in well into adulthood, you might end up coming back several times to take care of complications, like decay. For a healthy, happy mouth, call us today to schedule a consultation.