Our teeth work hard and are continuously under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel to protect them from harm. Furthermore, enamel is considered to be the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, even though enamel erosion is largely preventable, it is extremely widespread. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages, such as coffee, soda, and wine. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
Education is Key
At Cary Family Dental, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt further erosion if some has already developed.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion.
- Vigorous brushing can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
Scheduling a Consultation for General Dentistry in Cary
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt further erosion. There are several dental procedures with general dentistry in Cary that can protect the teeth that have already been compromised. Call Cary Family Dental today at 919-371-4428 to schedule an examination. Our team of professionals will give you guidance on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion. If you have questions about cosmetic, sedation, restorative, or general dentistry in Cary, you can visit our website or leave us a message on our contact page.
Contact Cary Family Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):